The journey of The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University began with the establishment of an Agricultural School at Saidapet, Madras, Tamil Nadu, as early as 1868. It was later shifted to Coimbatore. In 1920 it was affiliated to Madras University. Till 1946, the Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore, was the only Institute for Agricultural Education for the whole of South India. In 1958, it was recognized as a Post-graduate Centre leading to Masters and Doctoral degrees. The Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai was established in 1965. These two colleges formed the nucleus of the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University while it was established in 1971. With the introduction of technology in agriculture, new courses have been introduced. B.Tech.(Food Process Engineering), B.Tech.(Agricultural Biotechnology) and B.Tech.(Horticulture) were introduced in the late 20th century. A new degree program B.Tech.(Energy and Environmental Engineering) was started during 2004 and B.Tech. (Bioinformatics) during 2006. B.Tech. (Agricultural Information Technology) and B.Sc (Agribusiness Management) were started in 2007.